This week is the sad anniversary of the introduction of slavery into the U.S. in 1619.
Slavery, like its modern cousins, socialism and communism, represents an extreme manifestation of the spirit of money, which we call the money system, where all of a person's labor is taken by the money system. The slave trade was infamous for kidnapping people through warfare or other violence. However, often people were simply sold into slavery to repay debts. It is no wonder that the Bible warns us that the borrower is the slave to the lender (See Prov. 22:7).
The Bible also has a remedy for slavery, as it required debts and slavery to be forgiven every seven years (See Deut. 15:1-15). Since our bankruptcy laws, like many of our laws, are based on the Bible, Americans can go bankrupt once in seven years. We say that God invented bankruptcy to break the power of the money system.
In modern America, the money system continues to work to put people in debt bondage so it can reap benefits from the labor of its debtors. Physical slavery is, of course, now forbidden, but the bondage of debt is still very real. Some creditors, like the IRS or student lenders, still have the power to virtually enslave their debtors. Others can threaten to take property and harass debtors, but their power is limited. They operate through intimidation, relying on fear and ignorance to keep people in bondage.
We recognize that debt for homes and cars is a part of our financial system, and we encourage people to evaluate debt based on the bondage level it brings. For example, under a home mortgage the borrower has more rights and benefits than a renter, so a home mortgage actually reduces financial bondage. On the other hand, credit card overspending leads directly to financial bondage. We also advise people not to let debt dominate their lives. Instead, like our role model Abraham Lincoln, they should build their lives first and pay debts second.
For those trapped in debt bondage, we developed our system of debt relief to help them achieve financial freedom. While some can take advantage of God's invention of bankruptcy, most can work their way out of debt after learning how to take control of their lives.
You do not need to live in slavery to debt. Get free and live free.
Ron Allen is a Christian businessman, CPA and author who serves in local, national and international ministries, spreading a message of reconciliation to God, to men and between believers. He is founder of the International Star Bible Society, telling how the heavens declare the glory of God; the Emancipation Network, which helps people escape from financial bondage; and co-founder with his wife, Pat, of Corporate Prayer Resources, dedicated to helping intercessors.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details