We often use metaphors to help us communicate. Sometimes the metaphor clouds what was clear without enhancement. Think about these military metaphors often used in business:
"Take the hill."
"Rally the troops."
"Defend the line."
Do sports analogies make things clearer?
"He hit it out of the ballpark."
"I didn't mean to throw you a curve ball"
"A good defense will beat a good offense."
Good metaphors make an emotional connection with the hearer.
Language is not math. Equations produce universal solutions. The calculus is not subjective.
Too often, we send a flurry of words without empathy for the hearer. Good communicators listen and speak from the heart. If we listen closely to a leader, we should hear words that deliver focus points. There should be little doubt about what matters most.
Consider the depth in these biblical metaphors:
"Jesus said to them, 'I am the bread of life'" (John 6:35).
"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want" (Ps. 23:1).
"We are the clay and You are the Potter" (Isa. 64:8).
" I am the Light of the world" (John 8:12).
"The Lord is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer" (Ps. 18:2).
Spiritual metaphors are words to live by.
God is love.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details