People of influence must remain open to being influenced through active listening. The best tool for active listening is our eyes.
In Ezekiel 40, we read of the prophecy to rebuild Jerusalem and the temple. In this book we are also introduced to the characteristic of God, "Jehovah Shammah—The Lord is There."
God gives us comfort by "being there." As leaders, we can learn plenty from this concept to "be there" when meeting with people sent by divine appointment.
We read in verse 4: "The man said to me, 'Son of man, look with your eyes, and hear with your ears, and set your heart on all that I shall show you. For you have been brought here to show it to you. Declare all that you see to the house of Israel.'"
If I am leading in an organization to which God sent me, then it's not a leap to claim that every meeting is an appointment set by God. It would be optimal if I could show up at the meeting with more than my body and smartphone.
If we listen with our eyes, perhaps we won't be so easily distracted. Our eyes will also help us to seek first to understand.
"Wisdom is principal; therefore get wisdom. And with all your getting, get understanding" (Prov. 4:7).
From a leader's perspective, our primary purpose of listening is to get understanding. Being understood, though important, is not a functional listening skill.
The goal of a servant leader is to listen for an opportunity to serve. The question, "How can I help this person?" will not be answered by talking.
"My sheep hear my voice" (John 10:27). But we only hear what we listen for.
We hear what we want to hear.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details