When you think of Samson, do you think of him as a leader?
J. Oswald Sanders in his book, Spiritual Manpower, calls Samson, "The Champion Who Became a Clown."
Samson could have been an influential leader, but he is mostly remembered for succumbing to his weakness. He would do something spectacular occasionally, but he never raised an army, never won a battle. He never led the people of Israel, whom he loved so much, to do the will of God.
Samson was known for his brawn. When faced with difficulties he relied upon his own brute strength and intimidation to violently impose his will.
- He was embarrassed at the wedding feast, so he killed 30 men.
- He escaped the captivity of Philistia by pounding out 1,000 men.
- Gaza was ripped apart when he was caught with a prostitute.
There is no question that Samson's pride was his true weakness. But there's a deeper way to look at his obvious frailty.
Samson was not teachable. He leaned upon his own understanding.
He didn't listen to his parents. He never took the advice of people close to him. And he certainly did not seek the direction of God.
When a leader achieves such prominence that he loses his teachable spirit, clouds begin to form. Imagine a teacher who ceases to learn ... or a medical professional ... or an accountant.
Careers end because people arrive at the port of "I got this."
I encourage you to continue to study. Read with the eyes of a tyro. Attend seminars and take classes. Set goals for specific learning activities on a quarterly basis.
Leaders who demonstrate continuous learning are infectious in an organization. A leader who is not actively learning cannot expect his team to do so. Catch this fever and spread it!
Pray for a teachable spirit.
Learning promotes growth.
"It is written in the Prophets, 'They shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and has learned of the Father comes to Me. (John 6:45).
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details