Through time, it seems people have been fascinated with the notion that something or someone is out there to grant us wishes.
Make a wish upon a star, or before blowing out a candle or when throwing coins in a fountain.
God appeared to Solomon in a dream and said, "Ask! What shall I give you?" (1 Kings 3:5).
We can only imagine what a young, newly installed leader would ask today if such a question was set before him. The list would surely include extravagant luxury items, airplanes, gold, and a dream home to hide all the stuff.
But Solomon prayed for a most precious gift of leadership. He prayed for discernment. He knew he would need God's gift of wisdom to help him judge the people of God.
When is the last time you prayed for discernment in leadership?
The Holy Spirit gives greater wisdom to those who ask for it (James 1:5).
The writer of Hebrews reminds us, "Solid food belongs to those who are mature, for those who through practice have powers of discernment that are trained to distinguish good from evil" (Heb. 5:14).
Spiritual discernment will enhance a leader's problem-solving ability. It will help reveal the hidden agendas. Discernment helps to make partial pictures more complete.
Discernment helps us to never ignore a gut feeling, but to never believe it is enough. Leaders depend upon their keen sense of logic and intuition to decide a matter. The missing ingredient in that formula is spiritual discernment.
Spiritual discernment will add light to every situation. This gift will help us to see and hear what we've been missing. The gift will also help us to see when it's time to shift old paradigms and open our minds and hearts to a fresh anointing.
Jump to spiritual discernment rather than conclusions.
Now is a good time to pray for the gift of discernment. Wishes are for fairy tales.
"Give Your servant therefore an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and bad, for who is able to judge among so great a people?" (1 Kings 3:9).
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details