Citing the economic slowdown, Focus on the Family announced earlier this week that it will lay off 202 employees and turn four of its print magazines into online publications.
Founded by James Dobson, the nonprofit organization will terminate 149 employees and eliminate 53 vacant positions—about 18 percent—of its 1,150-strong staff, company officials said. Focus previously announced in October that 46 employees would be reassigned or laid off in 2009.
Focus' Vice President of Media and Public Relations Gary Schneeberger said that most of the new layoffs will go into effect immediately, but some will be phased out through December and early next year.
"Tough economic times require tough decisions," he said. "The worldwide economic downturn has had a negative impact on donations—which make up about 95 percent of our operating expenses."
In a related move, Focus will suspend publication of four print magazines—Plugged In, Brio, Brio and Beyond and Breakaway—over the next several months. Aimed at teenagers, Breakaway, Brio and Brio and Beyond will be revamped into online versions, and their content will be targeted at parents not teens, Schneeberger said. "Plugged In (will also) continue, and is one of our most popular features online and via radio," he added.
Focus will have four print magazines left—Citizen, Clubhouse, Clubhouse Jr. and Focus on the Family. Citizen will be reduced from 12 to 10 issues in 2009, while Focus on the Family will go from 12 to six issues a year.
Additionally, Focus' budget will be reduced from $160 million in 2008 to $138 million next year. "It's worth noting that Focus brought in a record donation amount (in the) last fiscal year ending Sept. 30—$146 million," Schneeberger said. "That indicates that donors still greatly support what we do to … but with the economic crisis affecting their budgets as well as ours, we have a responsibility to steward wisely what they give to us sacrificially."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details