While most sports fans had no problem with Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' recent trash talk, there were some who didn't like it.
Rodgers, though, is unfazed by his detractors.
"Are we getting that soft as a society that we can't have a back-and-forth now?" the athlete asked. "Somebody can pay for a ticket and say whatever ... they want—which I think they should be able to— but the one time you say something back to them, that gets caught on a hot mic, now I've disrespected an entire city, an entire organization, my organization."
"I'm not a part of this woke, cancel culture that tries to silence people all the time," he added.
Rodgers' condemnation of an overly sensitive society came after he made headlines for shouting "I own you" after scoring a six-yard touchdown run during a game against the Chicago Bears. He reportedly made the excited comment in response to a woman in the crowd who raised her middle fingers toward him.
The quarterback discussed the incident during an appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show."
"There's a PC, woke culture that exists," he said. "And there's a cancel culture at the same time, and it's based on people's own feelings of maybe personal [misery] or distaste for their own situations or life or just the enjoyment of holding other people down underneath their thumb."
Among the handful of people who didn't appreciate Rodgers' comments—most of whom were Bears players and fans—was former Chicago center Olin Kreutz, who said he'd "like to punch" Rodgers "in his face."
Rodgers' cancel culture comments come less than two years after he publicly denounced his Christian upbringing. He has never publicly declared to be an atheist, although his comments on a podcast in 2020 made his feelings about God pretty clear.
"I don't know how you can believe in a God who wants to condemn most of the planet to a fiery hell," Rodgers told Danica Patrick on her podcast last January.
For the rest of this article, visit our content partners at faithwire.com.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details