Whoopi Goldberg, one of the co-hosts of The View, claimed Wednesday the reason abortion exists is because people "got tired of tripping over women in bathrooms with hangers in their body."
She said abortion—and the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on Roe v. Wade—came about not for religious reasons, but because the procedure needed to be "safe and clean."
"Here's the deal," Goldberg said. "Abortion did not come around for religious reasons. The reason abortion came about is because people got tired of tripping over women in bathrooms with hangers in their body, OK? This was always supposed to be about safe and clean."
The 65-year-old actor said people's respective relationships with God are private and have nothing to do with abortion laws.
"This idea that you are making hay out of a law that doesn't affect you, because it doesn't say, 'Listen, if you get pregnant, you better go and have an abortion,'" Goldberg said. "It doesn't say that. It says, 'If you find yourself in a situation that you can't handle, perhaps you go and talk to your family, and then you all decide what you are going to do.'"
The segment centered on a newly enacted law in Texas that bans abortion after six weeks of pregnancy, before most women are even aware they are having a child.
Last week, the Supreme Court declined to issue an injunction against the law, which, rather than empowering officials to take action, authorizes private citizens to file civil lawsuits against those who aid in the procurement of a now-illegal abortion. Filers are eligible for up to $10,000.
Goldberg said abortion laws like the one in effect in Texas are a result of men getting angry because women "have not been listening" to what they have been telling them about what they should do with their bodies.
It's worth noting Goldberg's coat hanger claim is difficult to prove.
In 2019, The Washington Post gave then-Planned Parenthood President Leana Wen four "Pinocchios" for claiming repeatedly that, prior to the Supreme Court's 1973 ruling in Roe v. Wade, "thousands of women died every year" as a result of botched, back-alley abortions.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details