Former President Donald Trump made waves on Wednesday with a stunning announcement: He is leading the charge in a class-action lawsuit against several social media companies. "I stand before you this morning to announce a very important ... development for our freedom and freedom of speech," Trump said. "In conjunction with the America First Policy Institute, I'm filing as the lead class action representative a major class action lawsuit against the big tech giants including Facebook, Google and Twitter, as well as their CEOs."
Conservative and Christian speech has long been under attack from the social media giants, and calls for action against them have been growing.
Recently, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed legislation that gave Florida residents the ability to take legal action against these companies.
Regarding that legislation DeSantis said, ""This session, we took action to ensure that 'We the People'—real Floridians across the Sunshine State—are guaranteed protection against the Silicon Valley elites. Many in our state have experienced censorship and other tyrannical behavior firsthand in Cuba and Venezuela. If Big Tech censors enforce rules inconsistently, to discriminate in favor of the dominant Silicon Valley ideology, they will now be held accountable."
Social media companies have long claimed exemption from responsibility due to the legal designation of Section 230, which states, "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider." This designation has shielded tech giants such as Facebook and Twitter in their moves to censor opposing viewpoints on topics ranging from politics and public health to views on sexuality.
Trump made the case in his announcement that Section 230 changes the designation of said companies to something other than "private companies." He contends that the companies are operating as an extension of big government and must be reined in.
This may be one of the biggest lawsuits of our generation, with implications on how cultural discourse does or does not happen.
Trump, who pulled no punches in his announcement, said, "There is no better evidence that Big Tech is out of control than the fact that they banned the sitting president of the United States earlier this year. If they can do it to me, they can do it to anyone."
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
For more information on how you can fight back against cancel culture, make sure to get a copy of what Charisma founder and CEO Stephen Strang says is his most important book yet. God and Cancel Culture releases Sept. 7, the day after Labor Day, wherever fine books are sold. Pre-order it at stevestrangbooks.com or on Amazon.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details