Babylon Bee CEO Seth Dillon tweeted out a picture of an email he received on Thursday, June 24, from the e-newsletter marketing service Mailchimp.
Mailchimp does not allow the distribution of content that is, in our sole discretion, materially false, inaccurate, or misleading in a way that could deceive or confuse others about important events, topics, or circumstances.
If you violate any of these rules, then we may issue a warning to, suspend, or terminate your account.
It seems the company through which almost 70% of all email marketing is sent has decided to screen the content of those emails and arbitrarily censor by its own judgment.
The Babylon Bee is one of the largest humor satire sites on the internet, with close to a million followers on Twitter and on Facebook. Its satirical articles are regularly shared by the internet's largest influencers.
Mailchimp did respond to Dillon about its "mistake" via Twitter with a note of reinstatement, but not before Dillon had made other plans, saying, "Thank you, but we're moving to an email service provider that doesn't make these 'mistakes.' We'd also prefer to be on a platform that doesn't censor conservatives for being 'hateful' or 'misinformative.'"
Thank you, but we're moving to an email service provider that doesn't make these "mistakes." We'd also prefer to be on a platform that doesn't censor conservatives for being "hateful" or "misinformative." https://t.co/XSI9EUjOgc— Seth Dillon (@SethDillon) June 24, 2021
Multiple comments responding to Dillon's tweet promise to follow the Bee's lead and move their email marketing business elsewhere.
The Babylon Bee has been swatted at before and demonetized on Facebook. CNN has attacked the outlet with claims of "fake news," and the Bee has even threatened legal action against The New York Times for its smear, demanding—and receiving—a retraction.
Kyle Mann, The Babylon Bee's editor-in-chief, told The Daily Wire the company is trying to be as "independent of third-party technical services" as possible. "They can't be avoided, but wherever we can, we'll run our own tech or find a service that's friendly to free speech." He also posed a key question: "Have you ever heard of these 'mistakes' going the other direction?"
John Matarazzo is a digital content specialist for Charisma Media, reports for the Charisma News Podcast and is the host of AlongTheWay on the Charisma Podcast Network.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
For more information on how you can fight back against cancel culture, make sure to get a copy of what Charisma founder and CEO Stephen Strang says is his most important book yet. God and Cancel Culture releases Sept. 7, the day after Labor Day, wherever fine books are sold. Pre-order it at stevestrangbooks.com or on Amazon.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details