The Old Testament seems to be filled with predominantly male leaders. The apostle Paul even said in a few places that women should be submissive or silent in the church. So what about women in ministry? Should women preach or teach? This is probably one of the most controversial topics that theologians have debated for centuries.
Under the Old Covenant, we see that God used women. In fact, in the Old Testament, there were four women named prophetesses. This alone debunks the myth that women should be silent in church. God didn't make a mistake when He used women in that capacity.
I know you are thinking about those verses in 1 Timothy 2:11-14 regarding women not speaking or holding authority over men. Paul sent Timothy to Ephesus to stop the spread of bad theology in that church. I believe Paul is saying that these Ephesian women shouldn't preach because they had been deceived by false teachers, using the example of Eve when she was deceived by the serpent, leading Adam astray.
In addition to this, Paul was telling those women in Ephesus that their first task is to learn and to be properly equipped as disciples of Jesus, not jump into positions for which they are not prepared. Further, the gospel teaches us that women, men and children can be born again through grace, and they have equal value in the eyes of God. That should be our guiding principle, not the customs of the Roman Empire in the first century. Our example for this comes from the Trinity. These are some of the reasons we believe that the weight of responsibility in the church and family rests on the men, but women do have ministries and roles that honor God as well.
To learn more on the topic, check out the full podcast episode of Raised to Deliver with Pastor Vlad on the Charisma Podcast Network called Women in Ministry.
Vladimir Savchuk is the lead pastor of Hungry Generation Church and author of Break Free, Single, Ready to Mingle and Fight Back. He is also a founder of a virtual online school. To download free e-books, sermon series and small group study guides go to vladimirsavchuk.com.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details