In his newest book, Dr. Colbert's Healthy Gut Zone, Dr. Don Colbert explains to his readers that prebiotics are incredibly beneficial to the gut's microbiome and their entire gastrointestinal tract. "While probiotics are living organisms, prebiotics are more like insoluble fiber—undigestible and existing solely to serve your gut bacteria."
Prebiotic fiber is a non-digestible part of foods that travels through the small intestine undigested and is fermented when it reaches the large colon. "The fermenting action feeds the good bacteria in your colon," writes Colbert. "Though prebiotics can be in supplement form, the most common way to get prebiotics is through the foods we eat."
According to Colbert, there are many prebiotics available. A few on his list include:
— Wheat bran.
In Dr. Colbert's Healthy Gut Zone, Colbert writes, "To have a healthy gut, you must eventually feed your gut what it needs once the bloating and gas have been contained. That means feeding the good bacteria with prebiotics. The good bacteria then can multiply and benefit your whole body."
Colbert also addresses additional benefits of prebiotics: Prebiotics provide energy, help with weight loss, increase mineral (magnesium, calcium) absorption, reverse common adverse effects of stomach acid blockers, strengthen the probiotics already in the gut and suppress hunger.
"With my patients, I tell them to eventually aim for 12 grams of prebiotics per day once gas and bloating have resolved," states Colbert. "How much is that? If you are getting the fiber and probiotics your body needs, then adding about a handful of prebiotic foods to your daily diet should be sufficient. Use as many naturally prebiotic-rich vegetables in your salads or cooked meals as you want. The more it becomes a habit, the better."
Colbert was a board-certified family practice doctor for more than 25 years in Orlando, Florida, and most recently in Dallas, Texas. He is also board-certified in antiaging medicine through the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine and has received extensive training in nutritional and preventative medicine. He is the author of three New York Times bestselling books, including Let Food Be Your Medicine, The Seven Pillars of Health and Dr. Colbert's "I Can Do This" Diet along with bestsellers Toxic Relief, the Bible Cure series, Living in Divine Health and Stress Less. He has sold more than 10 million books and treated more than 50,000 patients in his years of practicing medicine.
Dr. Colbert's Healthy Gut Zone is published by Siloam, an imprint of Charisma House.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details