"Trekkies on steroids."
That's what Brian Bird, executive producer of the Hallmark Channel's No. 1 series When Calls the Heart, calls the "Hearties," the show's half-million identifiable fans.
But, he tells host Dr. Steve Greene on the "Greenelines" podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network, there's a huge difference between Star Trek devotees and the show's loyal Hearties. Hearties, he says, are "not just putting on a foil hat and going to a conference somewhere ... they're living it. They're actually living it with each other in groups. ... Across the world, there are Hearties parties happening ... They care about one another, they pray for one another, they bring food to one another, they step up in times of need. They're very much like small-group ministry in churches."
Bird says this small-group effect is true whether or not the Hearties have a personal faith. Although Bird hopes to see the show endure, "like Gunsmoke, for 24 years .... It's an evergreen show that we see forever and ever. But at some point, 'When Calls the Heart' will end. I don't think that's anywhere, anytime soon. ... But when it does, what will go on are all these friendships that are being made with the show as a catalyst. And that is the best legacy of what we're trying to do."
The show had to make an abrupt plot shift after Lori Loughlin's exit from the show in season 6 after she and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, were indicted in this spring's college admissions scandal. Is there a possibility Loughlin could return if cleared of the charges? Listen as Bird shares about this and more in this insightful podcast!
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer