The new Netflix adaptation of the 1908 novel Anne of Green Gables has been revised to include multiple homosexual characters, according to the series creator, Moira Walley-Beckett.
In the Northwood Entertainment-produced series, "Anne With an E," the beloved character Great Aunt Josephine Barry is the first of many LGBT characters in the series.
"Upon reading (the novel) again as an adult, I was wondering about Aunt Jo," Walley-Beckett told IndieWire. "In the book, she's a spinster, and she's just a bit of a curmudgeon, and that's kind of it."
"So I'm like, 'Well, she's coming to the Barrys for a month and she's grieving;' that's why I decided to justify why she's there: Who is she grieving?" Walley-Beckett continued.
Aunt Jo revealed in Season 1 that she was grieving over the loss of a character known as Aunt Gertrude, Josephine's partner.
IndieWire reports their relationship is what's called a "Boston marriage," when two women live together without being supported financially by a man. The term didn't exist during the time period of the show.
"And so we touch on that in Season 1, and in Season 2 we get to expand upon it in a way that allows her to provide a forum of acceptance," she continued.
That "forum of acceptance" is known as a "queer soirée." In Season 2, Aunt Jo holds her first queer soirée since the passing of her partner.
"It was very exciting for me and the writers to create that," Walley-Beckett continued. "We've been talking about the queer soirée, which is how we refer to it, since we all first sat down together."
Click here to read the rest of this story from our content partners at CBN. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc., All rights reserved.Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc., All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details