When the water got within a foot of their house, Troy and Kristen Dickerson knew it was time to go.
Troy grabbed their four kids and waded through the floodwaters threatening their home in Richmond, Texas. As he took the kids to his truck, he told Kristin to grab "whatever is important."
She took their wedding album and then turned to go.
"You realize how unimportant everything else is," she said from her parents' house, where the family camped out after Hurricane Harvey flooded their home.
It's been an exhausting experience, say the Dickersons. But they've gotten through with more than a little help from Sugarland Baptist Church, where the Dickersons are longtime members.
Folks from church showed up with meals, cleaning supplies, and volunteer labor once floodwaters receded.
They also provided an emotional pickup, says Troy.
"To have all these guys show up on my doorstep was a relief," he says.
The Dickersons are not alone. Like many disaster victims, they needed food, shelter and a dose of kindness to help them get by, says Southern Baptist chaplain Endell Lee.
Lee, a Naval Reserve chaplain and self-described "spiritual paramedic," spent six years as national coordinator for disaster spiritual care with the North American Mission Board.
His job: Train volunteers to "infuse faith, hope, love, grace and comfort into the situation, so people can begin picking up the pieces and putting their lives back together."
That grace and comfort can be found in a bottle of water or hot meal—or a listening ear. It's especially important as people take stock of their lives after a disaster and figure out what to do next.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.