The Babylon Bee continues to make a splash with its comical take on Christian culture, but unlike other satire sites, the Bee has a deeper purpose than simply making its readers giggle: The site also aims to make Bible believers think.
"What we want to make clear ... we're not making fun of Christianity, per se, and we're not making fun of Jesus or the Bible or the gospel," head writer Kyle Mann recently said on the "The Billy Hallowell Podcast." "What we're making fun of is the Christian culture that kind of builds up around those things and around the gospel and around the biblical message."
Take a peek behind the world of The Babylon Bee—and learn more about the site's upcoming book, How to Be a Perfect Christian—in the interview.
Mann, who also co-authored How to Be a Perfect Christian, explained that, as Christians, he and other members of the Bee team are looking to make a deeper point with their satire.
"Good satire should really make you laugh," he said. "And then it should make you think."
Mann said that the goal, in addition to sparking laughter, is to help Christians think through whether they have potentially created idols or erred in their handling of issues.
"We want people to see ... [that] Christian culture is dispensable and American Christianity is dispensable, but Jesus and the Bible are eternal," Mann said, adding that The Babylon Bee team wants to see people "build faith around those things."
Of course, creating Christian satire is no easy feat. Mann said that every article goes through a process in which the team looks it over and reassesses —a workflow that he said likely keeps the Bee out of hot water.
"With every, single article it's always a risk. I think if you want to write a good satire article ... then you can't really write from that place of fear — 'Is everyone going to misunderstand this?'" he said. "If you start there, kind of afraid everything you write is going to be taken the wrong way ... I think your satire comes off kind of weak; it doesn't have the sharpness it needs to have."
As for How to Be a Perfect Christian, which releases on May 1, Mann said that the idea for a book came about after he met with Bee founder Adam Ford and the two discussed creating a comical how-to manual for Christians.
"We [didn't] want to do a best of compilation," he said. "We kind of wanted to do something all new."
He said that the book starts by offering perspective on what not to do and then works its way back to provide a helpful path for Christians who are looking to tackle culture and various issues in a constructive way.
Mann also discussed the Babylon Bee being fact-checked by Snopes, his journey to the Bee and plenty, plenty more.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details