A teenage girl commits suicide in the controversial new Netflix fictional series, 13 Reasons Why, a show that has many critics, including teenage blogger, Lauren McRoberts.
The 16-year-old penned "13 Reasons Why NOT" to commit suicide, in response to the show—a blog that has been viewed by hundreds of thousands of people.
McRoberts spoke with CBN News about the blog.
"After watching the series, I feel like the Holy Spirit just laid it on my heart," she said. "I think when you are a Christian, you accept the Holy Spirit into your heart which is like a conscience for you, and I just felt like I was being called to do that, and it was something heavy on my heart."
"My personal testimony includes some clinical depression and anxiety that I suffered from a few years ago," McRoberts continued. "And ... my faith has motivated me to start a blog."
The teen wrote:
While this series gave you Thirteen Reasons Why Hannah Baker took her own life, I am going to give you Thirteen Reasons Why you SHOULDN'T:
1. You are fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps. 139:14).
2. You are WORTHY.
3. You are made in HIS IMAGE.
4. Your body is a temple (1 Cor. 6:19-20)
5. Your body is NOT YOUR OWN. It belongs to Jesus.
6. You are MORE; more than the whispers, rumors and loneliness.
7. Death has already BEEN DEFEATED; whatever you are fighting, Jesus already died for it.
8. YOU HAVE A PURPOSE.
9. Ultimately, you aren't in control, GOD IS.
10. Our God is BIGGER.
11. You can't give victory to the enemy. Those lies you hear are solely of the enemy. Don't let him win.
12. You aren't alone.
13. God's plans for you are PROSPEROUS. It's not cliché, it's the truth.
McRoberts told CBN News that people around the world have responded to her blog, including someone from South Africa.
She also said a correctional officer from Alaska contacted her, asking her to send several signed copies of the blog so he could post them in a women's prison to encourage the inmates.
In addition, McRoberts has started a fundraiser, selling T-shirts that read "You Are Worth > (More)." She said a portion of the proceeds will go toward "To Write Love On Her Arms," an organization focused on mental health awareness and suicide prevention.
The Facebook page of the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why, reads, "If you or a friend needs help, please visit 13reasonswhy.info." It's a link to a crisis information page that includes the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number, 1-800-273-8255.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details