James Dobson resigned on Friday as board chairman of the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family.
The announcement was made on Focus on the Family's radio broadcast, which Dobson will continue to host. Dobson told fellow board members on Wednesday and informed the 950 Focus employees Friday morning at a staff worship service, the Associated Press (AP) reported.
"One of the common errors of founder-presidents is to hold to the reins of leadership too long, thereby preventing the next generation from being prepared for executive authority," Dobson said in a statement. "Though letting go is difficult after three decades of intensive labor, it is the wise thing to do."
Dobson's resignation is part of his succession plan for the ministry he founded in 1977. He began relinquishing control six years ago by stepping down as president and CEO. The 72-year-old psychologist will relinquish his administrative duties but will continue speaking out on social issues and writing a monthly newsletter that is distributed to 1.6 million supporters.
While Focus on the Family devotes most of its resources to offering parenting and marriage advice, Dobson, a child psychologist and author, has gotten more involved in politics in recent years.
Gary Schneeberger, a Focus on the Family spokesman, told the AP that Dobson "will continue to speak out as he always has - a private citizen and not a representative of the organization he founded." He said the ministry and Focus on the Family Action will continue to influence public policy.
Jim Daly, president and chief executive officer of Focus on the Family, said there is no timetable for Dobson to leave the radio program, which has roughly 1.5 million daily listeners. He said Focus will "look for the next voice for the next generation" while Dobson remains on the air.
Dobson's wife, Shirley, also resigned from the Focus board. Air Force Lt. Gen. Patrick P. Caruana, a longtime board member, will replace Dobson as board chairman.
Daly said the ministry will "forever be committed to the fulfillment of the mission so definitively served by both Dr. and Mrs. Dobson-helping families thrive."
"The Dobsons have dedicated their lives to Focus on the Family," Daly added. "He is my mentor and friend-and an inspiration and role model to millions of Americans."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details