One quarter of all Christian adults identify themselves as charismatic or Pentecostal, according to a recent Barna Group poll, but several generational differences exist.
The study found that younger Christians are more likely to believe the gifts of the Spirit exist but are less likely to practice them. For instance, 43 percent of Christians under age 45 said they believe tongues are "valid and active today," compared with 37 percent of older adults, yet less than 9 percent have ever spoken in tongues.
Christians under age 26 also take a more symbolic view of the Holy Spirit. Some 68 percent said the third person of the Trinity is just "a symbol of God's power or presence but is not a living entity," compared with 55 percent to 59 percent of all other age groups.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details