One quarter of all Christian adults identify themselves as charismatic or Pentecostal, according to a recent Barna Group poll, but several generational differences exist.
The study found that younger Christians are more likely to believe the gifts of the Spirit exist but are less likely to practice them. For instance, 43 percent of Christians under age 45 said they believe tongues are "valid and active today," compared with 37 percent of older adults, yet less than 9 percent have ever spoken in tongues.
Christians under age 26 also take a more symbolic view of the Holy Spirit. Some 68 percent said the third person of the Trinity is just "a symbol of God's power or presence but is not a living entity," compared with 55 percent to 59 percent of all other age groups.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.