Soul Surfer—the inspirational life story of surfer Bethany Hamilton, the Christian teen who had her left arm bitten off by a tiger shark—took fourth place in its debut weekend, grossing an estimated $11.1 million from 2,214 theaters, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.
Heavily marketed to the faith-based community, the movie—distributed by Sony Pictures' TriStar label and marketed by the studio's faith-based division Affirm Films and FilmDistrict—was made for $18 million.
"Audiences seemed enamored with Soul Surfer, giving it a rare A-plus," said the Los Angeles Times, referencing CinemaScore's moviegoer polling. "That means the film is off to a solid start, especially considering the teenage girls who propelled it to success are on spring break over the next few weeks."
The family film—which stars AnnaSophia Robb as Bethany; Dennis Quaid as her father, Tom; Helen Hunt as Bethany's mother, Cheri; and Carrie Underwood as church youth leader Sarah Hill—beat projections by $1 million for its theatrical debut, USA Today reported.
Soul Surfer earned recommendations from more than half of the nation's film critics, according to RottenTomatoes.com. The Orlando Sentinel noted that the film is "the best faith-based film ever made ... uplifting, entertaining and wonderfully acted."
Rated PG for an intense accident sequence and some thematic material, the film is based on Bethany's Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board (MTV Books), which was sold in some Christian bookstores.
Have you seen Soul Surfer? What did you think?
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.