In recent weeks, online political activists have engaged in a misinformation campaign that seeks to bully retailers such as Walgreens, Petco and Netflix into discriminating against customers and charities based on their religious beliefs, specifically the traditional and biblical view of marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
"Retailers should beware of online activists who spread misinformation to pressure retailers to discriminate against customers and charities with Judeo-Christian moral views, including marriage as the union of a man and a woman,” says Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council.
The online activists are targeting CGBG, a charity support group with a mission and partner network that includes more than 170,000 charities representing a range of religious, non-religious, educational and other groups. The online service helps users support their favorite charities by shopping on the web. A portion of every online purchase is designated for a charity of the buyer's choice.
Online activists opposed to a traditional and biblical view of marriage have pressured retailers to end their participation with the charity support group. In response, Family Research Council is urging its supporters to contact these retailers urging that they resist pressure to discriminate against customers with a traditional, biblical view of marriage.
The FRC is joining a coalition of Christian groups in urging retailers to remain neutral in the current cultural battles. Perkins says this will enable them to focus on growing their enterprises instead of forcing consumers to make purchasing choices based on corporate political agendas. Faith-based consumers should not face discriminatory actions by retailers simply because they are exercising their freedom of religion, Perkins continues.
"Those companies which are easily swayed by this small but vocal group of activists risk alienating not only millions of consumers but also shareholders, charities, and churches,” Perkins argues. "We are asking people of faith to contact these retailers and respectfully request that these companies demonstrate their respect for the religious freedom of their customers by maintaining neutrality on cultural issues and ignoring the demands of these online political activists.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details