Gavin O'Connor, director of the acclaimed Olympic hockey movie Miracle, returns to tell a story unveiling the Christian principles of healing and forgiveness in his second sports-related film, Warrior.
O'Connor takes viewers into the world of mixed martial arts and portrays the notion of fighting in both a physical and spiritual manner. Christian leaders who viewed early screenings of the film have seen a family overcome the devastation of alcoholism on screen and have walked away with powerful testaments.
"I just saw Warrior and it was epic," says Shawn Bolz, senior pastor of Expression 58 Church in Los Angeles. "Even though MMA fighting provides the backdrop, the true battle is the fight for forgiveness and the movie is a strong testament to the power of the family in that fight. I thoroughly recommend this movie; it is one of the best I have ever seen."
Fr. Michael Diaz, pastor of St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish in Oceanside, Calif., notes the several undertones of faith throughout the movie including scenes with a rosary, discussions of Jesus and the conversion of a lead character.
Although MMA is a basis for the film, scriptwriter Anthony Tambakis shares what he feels is its sheer importance: "It was important to us to make a serious pro-marriage, pro-family movie. And therefore we don't shy away from revealing the intense struggle of family life because that's reality and also the key to growth."
“This movie was never about fighting," adds O'Connor. "It's about spiritual warfare, which may not be perceived by the eye but is a powerful reality in our lives nonetheless."
O'Connor has dedicated the film to Charles Lewis, the Christian founder of the prominent MMA clothing line Tapout. Lewis was killed by a drunk driver early in the film's making.
O'Connor hopes the film will inspire audiences to live “warrior lives” by practicing greater love and forgiveness within their own families.
Warrior will open in theaters nationwide on Sept. 9.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details